Mission: The purpose of Lambda Theta Alpha shall be to provide a sisterhood based on unity, love, and respect. To develop strong leaders who will then provide and practice political, social and cultural activities. Promote unity through charitable and educational programs. Maintain a higher standard of learning and serve as a voice for all students.
Colors: Burgundy and Grey
Principles: Unity, Love and Respect
Goals: Scholarly excellence, empowerment of Latinas and the universal woman, cultural and political awareness, and community activism.
- Founded at Kean University, NJ in December of 1975.
- Lambda Theta Alpha was the first sorority ever created to cater towards the needs of Latinas in the nation.
- The purpose of the organization is to create a support group for women in higher education and unite the community on campus.
- Lambda Theta Alpha was established as an academic sorority.
- Lambda Theta Alpha is not an exclusionary organization.
- Lambda Theta Alpha’s National Philanthropy is St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has a unique call, a hand-sign, and performs traditional salutes, chants, and strolls (party walks).
- Lambda Theta Alpha is a fully insured organization, which covers all of its chapters.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has established Alumnae Chapters.
- Lambda Theta Alpha has established chapters throughout Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- Lambda Theta Alpha is proud to be recognized as the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 recipient of the Philanthropic Sorority of the Year award from National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO).
- Lambda Theta Alpha is proud to be recognized as the 2000-2001, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2009-2010, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014 recipient of the Sorority of the Year award from NALFO.