A.L.A.S. Scholarship Application
Dear Potential Applicant,
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated was founded in 1975 in New Jersey by a group of women who wanted to create an organization that supports Latina women in their academics under the principles of Unity, Love, and Respect. In 1999, a group of ladies found that there was a need for that support at the University of Central Florida. Our purpose is to achieve scholarly excellence, support and maintain minority unity, and promote cultural and political awareness.
In addition to promoting multicultural awareness, Lambda Theta Alpha commits to presenting community programs and cultural events that have a positive impact on the entire Central Florida Area. Throughout time we have implemented educational programs that reach out to the UCF student body as well as the surrounding neighborhoods. One of the programs we are proud of is Aspiring Latinas Ahora y Siempre, also known for the A.L.A.S. Scholarship which helps first time UCF students. This is a mentoring program our organization founded at Stonewall Jackson Middle School to guide young students who are in need of a role model.
The purpose of our mentoring efforts is to assist all youth, regardless of ethnic background, in preparing, pursuing, and achieving post-secondary education and career goals of their choice. Our activities are designed to ignite interest, motivate success, and provide exposure to positive and productive life choices. As part of our continuous commitment to the community, we will be awarding the chosen student at our 11th Annual Assorted Flavas event taking place on the evening of October 13, 2016.
If you are interested in the opportunity of being selected for this $500.00 A.L.A.S. Scholarship please be sure to review the eligibility guidelines below. Please remember when filling out the application to review the guidelines and complete all required items. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you and good luck in the application process!
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated
Beta Theta Chapter
Assorted Flavas Chair 2016
- Must be a female first time student (freshman or transfer) at the University of Central Florida.
- Have at least a 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA (unweighted GPA)
- Scholarship Award recipients must be in attendance to receive the award at our Assorted Flavas annual event.
- Official High School or College Transcripts (must be sealed & stamped)
- Copy of letter of acceptance from the university
- One Letter of Recommendation (cannot be from a family member)
- Copy of your resume
- Wallet size photograph of applicant (i.e. senior photo, passport picture, etc.)
- Submit a 700 word essay answering BOTH of the following questions:
o Why would you like to win this scholarship award?
o If given the $500 scholarship, how would it help your academic career?
- In addition to the above questions, please choose ONE of the following questions to include in the essay.:
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of study and your future goals.
- Pick an experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced who you are today.
- Please describe your experience in promoting cultural awareness, citing what organizations and/or groups you worked with and the exact activities you initiated that helped bring about cultural understanding. How did this experience affect your academic and career goals?
If you meet the criteria and are interested in applying, please compile your application packet and mail it to us or submit it in person. The packet must be in the mailbox by the DEADLINE, no later than 5:00pm on Monday, September 5, 2016.
Lambda Theta Alpha
4100 Greek Park Dr.
P.O. Box 160157
Orlando, FL 32816